SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I'm married but already living separately with my daughter's

Hello. I'm married but already living separately with my daughter's dad. Just recently found out that he took a big loan from bank also has a credit card with big minus.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Wanted to know if he will do something bad (suicide) will these loans become my problem? At the moment I informed hm ravenue and my council that we live separately. But if I would be responsible for his finances then I will start legal divorce straight away
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: We agreed to wait from the begging just because I'm pregnant. And I wanted to give him a chance to think.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We both live in Gloucester.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. To be clear, are you asking about debts your husband has raised whilst you have not been together? Do you own anything together - marital property, such as a house etc?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Lea, yes I'm asking only about debts which he raised after we split and didn't live together.
While being married we didn't have anything together (no property, no mortgage, etc)
As we have a daughter and I'm due in four weeks with our second I need to think about kids and their future. I'm really scared that someting might happen and then I will be the only one responsible for all his depts.
Or everything he is doing after we separated will never affect me?
On your reply will depend my futher steps. I might start official divorce in a court straight away.
But also after court will divorce us from when all his debts will be formally his own? From day we separated or from day the court will divorce us?
Thank you in advance

You are not responsible for debts that are in his sole name, whether you are married or not. It may have impacted on you if you owned joint property, but you say you do not, so that is not an issue.

I would suggest you divorce though and separate the finances as you remain financially tied whilst still married. You can start a divorce using the online service, cost is £550. Once you have the decree nisi you can apply for a clean break order to separate your finances and end any association. See here: www.gov.uk/divorce

You can claim child maintenance via the CMS. See here: https://childmaintenanceservice.direct.gov.uk/onlinerevive/public/landing-screen

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for quick reply. I feel less stress now. But definitely will speak to him about divorce and will start the process.
Thank you for recommendations and links. Very helpful.

You're very welcome.

I hope things work out well for you. And congratulations on the new baby!