How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo W Your Own Question
Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 41
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo W is online now

I share a house with a friend who has not paid their share

This answer was rated:

Hi. I share a house with a friend who has not paid their share of the council tax. I cannot afford to pay their share of the council tax and I believe I am jointly responsible for the whole amount. Is it possible to be severed from him for this tax?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. He said he would pay it but has not and I have just seen the arrears notice. I am not sure what I should do.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: It is a privately rented 2 bed flat in Brentford, London.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. It may take a little time to consider but it is being dealt with.

I assume that both of your names are ***** ***** Council Tax bill?

The Council will not sever liability between you - it will expect any or all of the occupants to pay the amount due.

I sympathise with your situation but this is the way the law will be interpreted.

Jo W and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Jo