Jo W
Jo W, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112062897

I share a house with a friend who has not paid their share

Hi. I share a house with a friend who has not paid their share of the council tax. I cannot afford to pay their share of the council tax and I believe I am jointly responsible for the whole amount. Is it possible to be severed from him for this tax?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No. He said he would pay it but has not and I have just seen the arrears notice. I am not sure what I should do.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: It is a privately rented 2 bed flat in Brentford, London.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of.

Hello. My name is***** am a solicitor here to help you with your question. It may take a little time to consider but it is being dealt with.

I assume that both of your names are ***** ***** Council Tax bill?

The Council will not sever liability between you - it will expect any or all of the occupants to pay the amount due.

I sympathise with your situation but this is the way the law will be interpreted.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks Jo