How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4339
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I need help iro a Family Law query and child abuse. My

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need help iro a Family Law query and child abuse. My children have accused my ex partner of abusing them (hitting them repeatedly). They have confirmed this to the police. We have a court order agreed in December. I had raised this before but no action was taken and he was awarded more time. Social services are involved doing a single assessment. Do I wait untilthe assessment or start court proceedings now?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet. Social services have been informed and police. Contact has been stopped
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Gloucester
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am very sorry to hear about your dilemma, but will do my best to provide you with advice and guidance on what to do next. What is your actual legal query about this?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is:(###) ###-####9374
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if detailed review of documents is required, then this is likely to attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Would I be better off starting court action before the single assessment or afterwards? The children have already confirmed the allegation with the police, and I expect them to do the same with social services, however we only had our final order agreed last December. Concerns were raised last time about abuse towards the children but these seem to have been ignored.

If there is already a court order for the child arrangement in place and you wish to stop the contact, you should make an application to vary it whilst the assessment is ongoing.

You can do so on form C100 - cost is £215 - if on benefits/low income see form EX160.

C100 form:

EX160 form:

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you. I have a recording of my children talking to me about the abuse. They weren’t aware they were being recorded and my partner and I were very clear not to lead the conversation in anyway. We started the recording after they had made an initial disclosure but go on to talk about it. Would it be acceptable evidence, baring in mind they’ve already disclosed to a Family
Support worker, and the police individually?

The family courts do not like when children are recorded so that is very unlikely to hold any sway with the court. Probably best not to even mention it. Let the professionals interview them and provide reports for the court.

SASH_Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok perfect thank you.

You're very welcome.