ChrisB4147
ChrisB4147,
Experience:  Expert
112350272

The claimant has added her legal fees to date to the amount

Hello again , the claimant has added her legal fees to date to the amount she is claiming from me. I thought that costs were settled at the end of the case. Can she do this?

Hi, thanks for the question.  I’m Chris and I’m a Solicitor. I will be happy to assist you and hope to provide a full response as quickly as possible.

This is a question and answer service rather than an instant chat service, and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.

I presume you are speaking of the costs at the front of the Claim Form that you have received?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
the total being claimed is around 13 000 and 5000 of that is legal costs.

Wow. That’s a lot of costs! However, that is meaningless at this stage. As you say, costs are dealt with at the end (for whomever should be successful). The costs that should be put on the front of the form is the court fee and the fixed costs for issuing the claim (as defined under the Civil Procedure Rules).

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
There are costs at the front of the claim form but they have added more since when they request payment via email so these are meaningless at this stage too ? Can they change the amount claimed by adding legal costs and interest after the claim form has been submitted.

Costs are dealt with at the end and depending on who is successful in the case will indicate who pays costs to whom. They can’t simply add costs and interest along the way. It’s all meaningless although I suppose it does give an indication of any possible fees if your are not successful. Whatever the case, a judge will deal with costs at the end and consider whether costs are proportionate or not and they will have the say on the amount of costs.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking? If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you. Otherwise, thank you for using JustAnswer. All the best and hope the matter gets resolved.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you very much . You have been very helpful.

No problem.