How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3157
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Is it normal to have your separated wife on a new mortgage?

This answer was rated:

Is it normal to have your separated wife on a new mortgage?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida. I'm in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the information.  Whilst this may not be the most common issue, it really doesn't matter if you own a property with your ex partner.  So long as you are no longer married they will not have any auto metic right to your estate etc.  However if they are on the mortgage then they may be afforded. certain rights.   If you are worried about this the best thing to do would be to have an agreement in place which strictly outlines the perimeters of the legal agreement this will afford both of your rights, the fact they are your ex does not afford them any additional rights.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think I made myself clear. My ex husband (we are still officially married) is buying a house in Florida. I'm in Wales UK. He has asked me to sign on his mortgage. Because we are still married he says. But by my name, it says borrower. I don't understand.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (Q14SZQ4)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My question is this : am I bring taken advantage of here? Am I liable if this mortgage falls through? Do they really need my signature?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well this is terrible
You haven't given me a decent answer. And now no answer. Unless I give extra money.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need to know what f my ex husband here is pulling the wool over my eyes by asking me to co sign a mortgage deal.

I think the simple matter is that if you do not want to be put on this mortgage then do not sign.  It could be the case he wishes to have this property but cannot obtain it without your signature.  It does seem somewhat suspicious.  However if he does obtain this property, as you are still married, it would still form part of the matrimonial assets which you would have rights to that you can enforce.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you