How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ChrisB4147 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
ChrisB4147 is online now

I have a question pertaining to dealing with businesses in

This answer was rated:

I have a question pertaining to dealing with businesses in the UK.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I'm in the US, the business I'm having trouble with is in the UK. I don't have access, at this time, to lawyers in the United Kingdom.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've had a US attorney serve them with a notice of breach of contract, which they ignored. They were pretending to have a functioning US base in San Francisco, California, but they are not even registered to operate in the State of California. They ignored the letter, and now I have to find a way of directly serving the main office, in London.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm trying to get a refund, which was guaranteed by contract, but they are refusing to turn over my $6,000+ USD, and I don't know how to even reach them. They do not answer phone calls or emails.

Hi, thanks for the question.  I’m Chris and I’m a Solicitor. I will be happy to assist you and hope to provide a full response as quickly as possible.

This is a question and answer service rather than an instant chat service, and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.

Sorry to hear of the situation you are in. How much information do you have about this UK company?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The company is Design Proficient, based out of London. They claim to have branches in other countries, such as the US and UAE, but, apparently, they're just fronts, and everything happens out of the UK office.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
London WC2N 4JF, United Kingdom
Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for the information. If you are needing to serve documents on them, the best way would be to find a serving agent in the UK to do this. They would also be able to do some further investigating into this company to try and get some better details about them. A company is only with suing if they have the ability to pay.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would I need to have a UK attorney write up paperwork, or could I serve the papers drawn up by the US lawyer? Also, would the process server find the name of the registered agent, to whom the document should be served?

It depends on whether you are doing then though the US jurisdiction or the UK one. If the US then it would just be the serving of the documents drawn up by your lawyer there.
Yes, the tracing agent could find the name of the relevant person at that company.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The US wouldn't have jurisdiction over a business in the UK, would they? How much would I be looking at to have a breach of contract letter drawn up from a UK attorney, approximately?

It all depends on the contract and what that says about jurisdiction. In the UK, you’d be looking at probably £300 - £600 to do the letter.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Do you need to see the contract? It makes no specific mention of location, aside from the San Francisco front, which is, apparently, a fraud.

What does your US Attorney say about jurisdiction?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I haven't had a chance to speak to them about it, as I've just learned that they were fraudulently claiming to be working out of the US. Should I speak to them, or try discussing this with a UK attorney?

Speak to them first and get their advice as that is easier for you. Then, if necessary, seek a UK lawyer who can then advise, instruct a tracing agent to find out more and the correct name, and then do the necessary letter which can be served upon them.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you.

No problem. I'm glad I could assist with your questions this evening. All the best for the future and please let me know here if you have any further questions on this matter or anything needs clarifying. I hope the matter gets resolved.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks, again. I'm hoping I can get this resolved, sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed.

ChrisB4147 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you