ChrisB4147
ChrisB4147,
Experience:  Expert
112350272

I received a letter from my ex employer accusing me of theft

Hi I received a letter from my ex employer accusing me of theft accusing
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: They said that I used the company card for my personal used and this partly true
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes. I replied to them mentioning that it was in the context of the employee benefit and that it was common practice
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have asked them to check how much of my allowance was used and the transactions might be included in there.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They have not come back to me.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I ignore their messages
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What shall I do?

Hi, thanks for the question.  I’m Chris and I’m a Solicitor. I will be happy to assist you and hope to provide a full response as quickly as possible.

This is a question and answer service rather than an instant chat service, and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can.

I’m sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in.  When did you last have communication with them about this? How much are they saying you spent?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They sent me the letter today and the transaction were for £1500.I do not work with them anymore. I used to be the chief accountant.

I’m unable to take a call now but we can discuss in the morning if you are able to?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ah ok. Can we cancel the request and refund the gbl 44 then.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am worried about the situation and I would like to have an idea of where this might lead me and how I can defend myself.

Yes, I’ll cancel my end and you just need to inform support at www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

Ultimately, it is for them to prove their case. They would need to show you evidence of what they allege and how they work that out. I would face it head on as you are not at fault and be very clear with them that without evidence they have no case. If they show you the necessary documentation, then you will have to consider it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They sent me some documents about transactions
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
my name is ***** ***** do not work for them anymore but at the time policy was not clear and the card would be used for personal use of employees
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
As part of benefits offered to them.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I had sole use of the card with the Account payable clerk working for me.

It sounds as though it is going to be hard for them to prove if their policy was unclear. If so them for a copy of their policy in existence at the time.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. I shall ask them a policy of the bank card usage at the time?

Yes, I would.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok I will ask them tomorrow and let you know what they say. Thank you

No problem. I'm glad I could assist with your questions this evening. Please let me know what they say and let me know if you have any further questions on this matter or anything needs clarifying. I hope the matter gets resolved without too much stress.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

No problem.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Chris , Can I please have a call with you?

Yes, you can, although the call on this matter was cancelled so you will need to make a further request.  I will be avaialbe between 11 and 12 today or between 1 and 3  if that suits?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Chris that's fine. 11.00 works for me . I will make a request for a call. Thanks