How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3157
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I was the sole beneficiary in a will when the person was in

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I was the sole beneficiary in a will when the person was in the right frame of mind...her neighbour signed this will but a couple of years later they took her to a solicitor and changed it when she had signs of dementia
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: no property it was bought by one of the witnesses sons and then sold at a profit
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i have been left £5000 and my kids £25000 each in the new will....I have a picture of the old will but believe the neighbours made this ill for her

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.   If you believe that the person was coerced into making a new Will or executed a Will when not of sound mind then you can make an application to contest the Will.  If you are able to show this was the case (in either or both instances) then it would be possible for the court to order that the latter Will is invalidated and the original Will stands.  However you will require to prove this in evidence.  As this can be a complex area of law I would advise instructing a solicitor to assist with your representation.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had power of attorney but wasn’t comfortable doing it on my own because I wanted everything to be monitored financially etc to show I had her best interests...I asked her neighbour to be a joint power of attorney with me....her son bought the property in 2018 for £210000 and has just sold it at £ a POA I believe she shouldn’t have done this and asked me in an email if it was ok but I didn’t answer......

This will come down to whether they had the authority to do so or not.  For example what powers they had been given and then also if they are a joint attorney or is they are a sole Power of Attorney.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you