RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

My sisters car has been impounded as she drove without

My sisters car has been impounded as she drove without insurance. She believed she had it but is in the midst of a mental health crisis and therefore very disordered. Trying to find out if I can get the car out of impound on her behalf but faced with some conflicting information. Is it possible to advise please? Thank you, Natalie
JA: Where are your sisters? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My sisters car is in Bristol. I know where it is impounded, also in Bristol
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: i have called the impound garage. They advised that impound insurance would be needed to release it and that it may be possible to obtain the insurance in my name, as opposed to my sister, to enable the release faster. However one insurance company has informed me that the impound insurance will need to be in her name and she will need to come with me to release it. The only other alternative is her signing over ownership to me and then I can insure it directly.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My sister, although not sectioned under the mental health act, is still disordered in thinking and will not be able to sort this out independently. She is also currently staying with our mother in Devon, as part of a support package, so would physically be unable to collect the car herself.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you for the question.  So long as there is insurance on the car and the person who is insured is there to release the car then you would be able to have the car released under that matter.  However, if you are getting conflicting stories the best thing to do is speak with the garage who have the car.  They have to inform the police that they are satisfied that the release is lawful.  Therefore if they are happy to release the car to you with insurance under your name then you would not be liable if this was incorrect (which I don't see it would be).  If the garage are satisfied with your name on the insurance then they can lawfully release the car to you.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.