Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

A neighbour’s dog died due to eating a poisoned rat. They

a neighbour’s dog died due to eating a poisoned rat. They accusing us for causing the poisoning. What the law in regard to this
JA: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: They have threated to sue us
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: epsom surrey
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just want to prepare ourselves in case the case goes to court

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I am sorry to hear about this. In terms of your potential liability, it will be up to the neighbour to prove that you caused the death. How did this happen?

What exactly are they saying you did?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last week the neighbours asked if we had used rats poison to kill rats. We said we put rat poison in the garage two weeks ago. After a few day later they said their dog was dying because it had eaten a poisoned rat. And said we should pay for the vet fees. The dog later died.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I just want to have an idea were this is leading to
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or am I liable to paying the vet fees

You are allowed to use amateur use poisons and traps to control rats and you can get most of them from a hardware store or garden centre. If you followed the instructions as on the pack and placed poison on your property and if the dog accidently trespassed your property then you are not legally responsible for it.

At this stage, it usually is the best idea not to admit any liability i.e. you do not know what has happened and it may jeopardize your case if you admit liability prematurely.

From what you have told me I fail to see how the neighbor can prove that the poison from your garage.

Unless they can prove that you were negligent i.e. left poison unattended and their dog ate it - they will not be entitled to get anything from you.

Unless the neighbor has some solid evidence of you being reckless and/or negligent with this poison, I would refuse to pay for the vest fees!

*vet fees

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

My pleasure. All the best and thank you for using our service.