Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I booked a holiday to Isle of Islay in 2020, which was

Hi. I booked a holiday to Isle of Islay in 2020, which was cancelled due to the Covid vaccine. I was refunded the monies paid then I rebooked for 13th June 2021. I paid £200 deposit towards the £530 holiday. Unfortunately on 3rd March 2021 I was diagnosed with lung cancer which was a recurrence of the cancer I had in 2013. I can’t go on the holiday as I need nurses thread days per week to come to my house, and I need to attend hospital frequently too. The independent holiday I booked with (Callumkill Estates, Islay, now want me to pay the balance of the holiday cost £300. They have said that they will take £100 off this for cleaning, laundry costs etc. I didn’t sign a contract with them , but I was told the terms I received with the invoice explained I will only receive a full refund if they can sell on the holiday to someone else. Surely I should only lose the deposit? I did not take out insurance at the time, intending to get it nearer the time. I don’t have £200 right now and I could do without stress at the moment as I have enough to worry about. Can you clarify my position on this please?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Ivam unemployed due to health problems
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Firstly, you have my sympathies I hope you recover. In terms of the holiday however, I am sorry to say that the relationship is governed by the contract including the terms and conditions and it is not uncommon for holiday providers to indicate that the full amount is due if you cancel unfortunately as in this case. Therefore, I am afraid to say that you will need to appeal to their sense of empathy in the circumstances but from a legal perspective you are likely liable. I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.

I thank you for visiting the website and for the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. If you have further questions, inquiries or queries let me know post haste and I will attempt to answer them. Otherwise I bid you a good day

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand. But the companies sympathies have extended to giving me £100 off the balance of the holiday. I don’t think they will extend further. Thank you for your reply and for your kindness.
Angela McInulty

I understand and sympathise but sadly the law is not on your side here. Take care.