How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8377
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I understand that there are some challenging rules for

This answer was rated:

I understand that there are some challenging rules for bringing a non UK wife into the country. I have a partner of 11 years standing whom I want to live with in UK. What hurdles must we jump? Her English is first class.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: None. No. GAMBIA. UK resident
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No. I've no idea what steps to take and would struggle with any legal costs
Customer: Hello
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've heard that there is a financial implication re income to prevent one becoming a liability to the state. Would like to understand that.
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I am in a situation that is going to require some drastic action.
Bot***** *****ne, I need to leave the Gambia with my partner but it requires a well thought out and achievable approach.
All help / advice will be welcomed and gratefully accepted.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would love to call you but funds are extremely low at this moment in time.

So to clarify you are a UK citizen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
shall be returning home permanently in November come what may.

Ok, that is fine and have you been living together for at least 2 years?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
6 actually.

Ok excellent. She would need to apply for a spouse visa, get 2.5 years which can be extended by another 2.5 years at which point she can apply for indefinite leave to remain. She will need to prove her level of English is good which may involve her taking a test. She will also need to show that combined as a couple you have an annual income of £18,600 or savings of £16,000. She can apply online here:

I trust this assists you in understanding your position however, should you have any supplementary inquiries, do not hesitate to ask and I will look to clarify or expand on my previous response.

I thank you for visiting the website and for the opportunity to assist you with your inquiry. If you have further questions, inquiries or queries let me know post haste and I will attempt to answer them. Otherwise I bid you a good day

Jeremy Aldermartin and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you