marcusmalin
marcusmalin,
66642005

My son is a drug addict, he steals from us, tells lies,

My son is a drug addict, he steals from us, tells lies, deals drugs and causes untold worry. He is 17 and has started asking about his child trust fund which we have paid into all his life and is worth around £5000. I know it's not a fortune, but he has already started making plans which basically involve a massive holiday and drugs and alcohol. We rare very worried, however there seems to be no way of withholding this money; we don't want him not to have it, we just want to be able to postpone the windfall for a couple of years hoping he will grow up! Anything we can do?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: no nothing like that
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: this is way ahead of what i need. I just need to know if there is a process
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Sadly there is nothing you can do to prevent a child when they attain 18 from having access to a child trust fund.

At the age of 16 they can have a degree of control over the fund and then access at the age of 18.

I entirely agree that it should not be accessible until say 21 but sadly that is not the case.

So maybe some sort of persuasion or encouragement to use it sensibly are the only options open to you.