RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I am looking for an advice on if I have mistaken if shown

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking for an advice on if I have mistaken if shown someone’s photo on Facebook then this person without my knowledge contacted the person on the pohoto.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The person who had their Facebook profile with their real photo and nickname is ***** ***** of breach the gdpr because I’ve asked someone outside of work if they know each other because they are from the same country.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the question.   This is not a breach of GDPR.  There would only be a brach if you have supplied personal data to a third party without the person's consent which has not happened.  The best way forward would be to cease any communication and remove any photo which you do not own.   I don't see that they would have much basis for a legal action against you.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for your answer. If I can please just clarify and make sure the story is right. The girl who works in the same work place as I do had her Facebook account with her real photo available to see to the general public. I have shown this photo to one of my friends who is from the same country saying there is a girl from the same country working in our hotel. He said he doesn’t recognise her however remembered her nickname and contacted her later without my knowledge. She was furious and accused me of breaching GDPR and provided her Facebook contact. I am a superior to this girl and never meant a harm to her but she is threatening me with legal actions even accusing the company where we are working because I am her supervisor.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 2 months ago.

That would be an employment matter and not a breach of GDPR.