How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask marcusmalin Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2727
Type Your Law Question Here...
marcusmalin is online now

My son lives in East Molesey, his wife sadly died at home

This answer was rated:

Hi my son lives in East Molesey, his wife sadly died at home early this morning. The police are not allowing a friend into the house and have said he should go to staines police station to give a statement. Are they allowed to keep his friend away
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: I am in Scotland, I dontvthink there will have been time
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I am asking if hr is allowed to have his friend with him
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Firstly I am sorry for your families loss.

In honesty it is not an easy question to answer without knowing the full circumstances.

On the face of it the police cannot prevent a friend going into the house unless the death was unexpected and enquiries are being made in which case it maybe justifiable to not allow access to the friend.

Do you know the circumstances of the death.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know a few details, my daughter in law has had ongoing health issues, the last few days she has been sick & diarrhoea badly, also diabetes 1. She had difficulty sleeping, so took some cannabis, she had difficulty breathing and panic attacks, my son seeing her breathing was less stressed sitting than lying got her downstairs.
He gave her glucose gell, i think she went unconscious he called 999 and they got him to lay her on the floor and do cpr till the ambulance arrived

What a dreadful ordeal for your son.

It may well be that the basis of the refusal of the police for a friend to enter is that on the face of it the death at this time is unexplained.

Your son should however make it clear to the police that he would like support from his friend - that is not unreasonable in the circumstances.

Thank you.

marcusmalin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have paid for the live phone call, I believe Gareth is still at home, more police arrived but he has sent his friend back to his own house. Should I suggest he asks for the dury solicitor before giving his statement