Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have discovered a dangerously installed steel in my house

Customer Question

hi I have discovered a dangerously installed steel in my house following a renovation. I got building sign off from a private company not the council. I confronted them with this information and they told me that it was mine and my builders responsibilty to check the work was right, at which point I asked why I had employed them as I thought it was there role. They said they were there to just that regulations were followed, surely that would include checking steels were installed correctly. They also said that they could not check everything, really? I did tell them that due to Covid I had sent photos of the steels for them to check plus other photos. They stated that if they spotted something wrong they would tell me but if they didn't notice something there was nothing that could be done. I don't believe any of this what can I do please.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
can I claim for stress and trauma or similar, we have had to move out of the house as I am told by a number of experts that the ceiling could collapse at any time?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
criminal negligence on their part as it is potential manslaughter
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Yes, but I don't think you have a claim for more than £25,000 or so in damages.

It's not a criminal case, it's not potential manslaughter, it's a civil claim.

You can't have a criminal case for potential manslaughter.

I hope that helps/

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
what can I claim please just to be clear?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Negligence and/or breach of contract, stress.

I hope that clarifies

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
what sort of evidence will I need please?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

You will need an expert report showing what the defects were and whose fault it is.

I hope that assists.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
what sort of expert please and what evidence for stress
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

A RICS surveyor. I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
what about for the stress?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

You need to get an expert psychological report.