How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8287
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have a rented commercial property. I have found out my

Customer Question

I have a rented commercial property. I have found out my landlord has used an electric submeter to supply power to a flat built above the property which he has rented out. I am paying for electricity for those Tennant's!!! Landlord is happily billing me for that flats electric usage.This is a deliberate act of theft of electricity.I am seeking legal action against the landlord this electricity theft ( worth around £1500) done in past year.Just to note council is investigating the flats built up and is classifying it as illegal as we speak.I want to sue landlord/ seek financial compensation / take court action / involve police.Whatever is legally possible.
Please advice
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.

Have you spoken to the landlord about it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I want to know legal options before I speak to him.He is the thief here so the last person I would want to speak to
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.
I see well I firstly recommend you report to the police on 101. Beyond that you can issue a money claim using the money claim online service which takes you through the process of issuing a claim:
Once you have judgement you can enforce against him using baliffs but you should first write to him and ask for the money back within 14 days.
I trust this assists.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you have follow up questions
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you.
Will police be visiting to confirm.I want to press charges for celebrate ongoing theft and then sue him in small claims court for financial loss which has occured in the past due to his negligence and poor attitude.Sum I am seeking is £1500 for light bill and £3000 loss of earnings and inconvenience and harassment
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Deleberate ongoing theft* is a crime I guess. Its not just paying back money that will solve it!If that's the case I would steal a million from bill gates and give it back if he asks.I want to charge him first then seek compensation since he stole
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.

It is a matter for the police how they conduct themselves as I have said you can report it to the police and leave them to do their jobs. If the police and CPS think there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to prosecute they will. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.
No problem