Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

My landlord issued a section 21 notice in April und the

Customer Question

My landlord issued a section 21 notice in April und the Covid restrictions with a 6 months notice period. He has informed me today that he is re-issuing it to reflect the change of circumstances that come int effect today 01/06/2021 ie 2 months notice, effectively shortening the existing notice by 2 months. Is this allowed? I am currently looking for a new property but as yet nothing suitable has come onto the market.
JA: What steps has your landlord taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No he has just sent me a notice to quit (section 21 notice form 6a) and he informed me today that is is sending an new notice to reflect the change in the requirements.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London E11
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Lawry replied 19 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem with your landlord.

A section 21 notice doesn't normally expire unless the landlord withdraws it.

Technically, it could be argued that by issuing a new notice they are withdrawing the previous one.

The first notice expires in October whereas one served now will also expire in October as all notices served from 1 June 2021 have to give 4 months notice.

Either way, you cannot be evicted without a court order and a warrant of execution with the bailiff that provides you with another two/three months.

This is especially so due to the backlog of cases caused by the coronavirus.

You also need to check that the section 21 notice is valid as you may be able to challenge it.

Was any deposit placed in an approved scheme?

Were you supplied with a Gas Safety Certificate and Energy Performance Certificate?

Were you provided with the Government's booklet on "How to Rent?"

If you want to instruct a solicitor to help call the Law Society on 0207(###) ###-####who can recommend local firms who can assist or call Shelter on 0808(###) ###-####who can provide advice.

Expert:  Lawry replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps.