Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My brother has been thrown out of his flat by his partner

Customer Question

My brother has been thrown out of his flat by his partner who is refusing to return his possessions.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Bristol.We have contacted the police but they tell us this is a ciiatter
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: civil matter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Contacted her by message, sent her a letter
Expert:  Stuart J replied 22 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Is this a rented property? if so in who's name tenancy?

and why wont she let him have his items?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It was a council flat, they lived there for approx 7 years but she refused to put his name on the tenancy.
She attacked him after work in April. The police are dealing with her about that matter.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 22 days ago.

You say that he’s been thrown out by his partner and he is not named on the tenancy agreement.

If they are not married, I’m afraid he has no right to live in the property and he’s going to have to make other arrangements.

It would be different if they were married or he was named on the tenancy agreement, but as it is, he has no rights.

I’m sorry, I appreciate that it’s not the answer you are looking for.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have