Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am a being chased for an alleged debt by a firm called

Customer Question

Hi, I am a being chased for an alleged debt by a firm called Cobra who have been engaged by a former business development consultant who did work for me in Latin America. There is no contract in place with this former consultant and he was paid through my Irish Company bank account. I set up my UK company (not a subsidiary of the Irish one but using the same Company name) in July 2020 and started trading in Dec '20.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the UK and the debt collection firm demanding payment from me/my UK company, even though there is no history between my UK company and this consultant.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've gone back to the consultant and his debt collectors to state that there is no legitimate claim in the UK and to take matters up in Ireland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, I've been told by contacts of the former consultant that one of his friends is a "psycho" and always gets the money back!
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

As there is no contract between your UK company and this consultant you can ignore these threats, they need to take it to court to get any money and when they do you can get it chucked out given the lack of evidence. If they continue to harass you report it to the police on 101. You may wish to do so now given the threats of violence. I trust this assists.

Let me know if you have questions