How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 73811
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work for a large supermarket chain, I am a 50 year old

Customer Question

I work for a large supermarket chain, I am a 50 year old woman, a new store manager was placed in our store, who asked if I could work more days and I said absolutely yes then about a week later he called me in to his office and said he was going to up my contracted hours from 12 to 30 weekly, which I was very happy about because it would give me regular hours, so I knew I would be able to pay my bills. That was four weeks ago then yesterday he told me that he would not be able to because we were losing overtime hours, but in the last 4 weeks he's brought in 4 new colleagues with longer contractual hours than mine. I've been there since the beginning of the year and all of my other 4 customer trading managers have said I'm there best colleague, because I work harder than anyone else, I'm always early for work, I've gone sick. I don't understand and now I don't know where I stand and I'm worried about my monthly income
JA: Was this wage-and-hour issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: My store manager
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Are you able to upload a copy of your contract on here please?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. Your rights will depend on whether the offer of an increase in hors was a formally agreed contract between you and the employer, or simply something that was unofficial and still subject to negotiation or formal approval.

If nothing specific or contractual was agreed in writing, it may be difficult to argue your case, especially as the manager can always deny that this was a formal offer and play it down. In that case you would still be entitled to your original contract which you currently hold.

If you are unhappy about this you can raise a formal grievance about it. You can get a detailed explanation of the grievance process here:

In summary, an employee is expected to submit their concerns in writing and send them to their line manager, or whoever is nominated as the person to send grievances to under an official workplace grievance policy.

The complaint should include details of what the grievance is about, any evidence that may exist which is relevant and also what the employee wants their employer to do about this issue.

Once the grievance has been submitted, the employer is expected to arrange a formal grievance hearing, inviting the employee to attend and discuss the nature of their complaint. The meeting is also as an opportunity to ask for further clarification or information, as required.

Following the meeting, the employer will take time to consider all the issues and evidence and then make a decision, communicating it to the employee. If the outcome is not to the complainant’s satisfaction, they can appeal and get a second opinion from a different person assigned by the employer to consider the appeal. Once the appeal is also completed, that brings to an end the formal grievance process and there is no option to escalate it further internally.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.