How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2814
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I would like to know what steps to take against my letting

Customer Question

Hello Pearl I would like to know what steps to take against my letting agency and landlord who refuse to provide running hot in the shower
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: There are several correspondences I have let the council know as well and yet no one seems to care. I pay my rent monthly keep the place clean so I think it’s very unfair to be paying for services I am not receiving
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Coventry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 19 days ago.


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays but rest assured that I will respond within 24 hours.

Please confirm the council's and landlord's response to your complaints?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I was rest assured that the issue will be fixed. Unfortunately due to the restrictions (lockdown) the inspection from the council officers didn’t happen
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 19 days ago.


It appears that the landlord obligation under the landlord and tenant act plus the tenancy agreement has not been fulfilled. Therefore this gives rise to a potential rent deduction claim because you have been paying full rent in a property where there is a defective shower.  Consequently I suggest you write to the Landlord and remind them of your rights under the law and perhaps the agreement. Notify them if the steps are not taken you will seek a rent deduction claim and also consider instructing someone to fix the issue. Obviously you will seek to claim the costs of fixing the issue from the landlord too. This may prompt a quick response given their failure to respond will mean  larger expenses for them.

I also suggest you chase up the Environmental officer within the council on your complaint because it may be the case this has been overlooked.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 19 days ago.

Your welcome and have a good day.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
You too!
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 19 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe