Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Thanks for helping. I would like to hire a company to build

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Thanks for helping. I would like to hire a company to build a landing page. They are a lead generation company. I have asked them about GDPR and they said it's on them, as the landing page would be theirs. Is that correct? In other words, they are just passing me leads, the landing page is just the tool they will be using.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: U.K. (London)
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: What do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I just have a doubt about who is liable in the event the landing page is not GDPR compliant
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, that's all
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Similarly, I want to build a website through an online web builder tool. Who would be responsible myself or the provider if the website automatically installs cookies because the provider has not made available the GDPR-compliant feature? Actually, many online web building services have this issue...
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

Hello.   I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

Under the Data Protection Act of England and Wales and the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation 2018, you as Data Controller and/or Data Processor must only process your Data Subject clients’ Personal Data for no longer than necessary to achieve your legitimate purpose for processing their Personal Data i.e. for customer services, billing and invoicing, taxation and marketing purposes with your clients’ express or implied consent.

You must carefully consider the length of time you need to store your client’s data to achieve your legitimate purposes and have in place an internal Data Processing and Retention Policy for your business’s employees to follow and an external Privacy Policy available for your clients to review on your website and at your offices so that they know how and why their Personal Data is being processed, including how long you are storing it and who your appointed third party Data Processors are, such as Internet Cloud Storage Providers (Google, Amazon) and Couriers (DHL, FedEx).

I therefore suggest that you instruct specialist Data Protection and Commercial Contracts solicitors to draft you a bespoke Privacy Policy for your website and offices that your clients can review and is incorporated into your supply of goods and services terms and conditions.   I also recommend that you have drafted an Internal Data Processing and Retention Policy for your employees to follow with clear guidance on how long clients’ Personal Data is stored.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 18 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry.   Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd