Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a severe hygiene complaint against a very high

Customer Question

i have a severe hygiene complaint against a very high profile brand hotel , with photos and have tried in vain to get an apology from the CEO but have now decided maybe a should claim compensation as no one at the top will even speak with me , but is this possible as I am very sure nationals would be interest, during this COVID time , dont know where to start
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: started at the bottom then to a new customer advisor, then a senior advisor but I explained I wanted the very top to be aware due to the severity and have been informed this is not possible (as per the CEOs office) , which i am appalled at , should I just take to a nationlal as I am 100% sure the CEO will not be impressed that his brand will truly suffer.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: all in a week , my stay was the 23 May
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Please explain the reason for the complaint in more reason

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
unsure if I can do anything, but I stayed in a hotel , due to covid, I always strip all the bedding and place the towels and bedding and rubbish (tied up) in the corner, so not so much handling ( this has happened once before) , when I had stripped the bedding it was disgusting the mattress had sweat stains over it, but the worst part was that the protector and blood stains on it !, so someone had seen this and just placed a sheet over it , and we had slept in that all night . I was trying to avoid taking to the press due to the bad advertising this would do, especially when they are such high profile brand and have a covid protect policy and were open to key workers in lockdown, but I didn’t want a refund due to the severity, just an email from the CEO but I had an email this morning stating this would not happen, now I am angry that this does not appear to be an issue for them. what should I do , as a next move.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

OK thank you for explaining. What are you ideally hoping for so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
at first, I wanted an apology from the CEO I had said this all along so that he knew how bad it was. as this is the second time (2 different places) I didn't want a refund, but now I am angry, I want a full apology from him and compensation, or is this normal and just let it go, or give to papers the photo/s
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

You cannot force the hotel to issue an apology so whether they do is entirely up to them. As to compensation, you will not get more than a refund for your stay. You have not suffered any injuries from this so you cannot expect any additional compensation. Therefore, anything you claim for will be limited to the price of your stay at most and even that is not guaranteed as you only found out when you were leaving and cannot argue that your stay was affected as you knew nothing about it until the end.

If you wanted to claim compensation for the price of your stay, you can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you for the reply, I'm a garst that blood-stained bedding is not of importance, however, I will take note of your response and I thank you for your time Kind regards
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
the gentleman answered the questions asked , quickly and concisely , thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.