Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

A just a quick question: i have a contract of rent of 3

Customer Question

Good morning, a just a quick question: i have a contract of rent of 3 years which is terminating in 10 months, and if surrender the contract and the below is in the contract:
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: If the Tenant requests to surrender the tenancy prior to the expiration of the term, and the Landlord agrees to the
surrender, then the Tenant will be responsible for rent until the agreed vacating date and for reimbursing the Landlord the
letting fee of 11% plus VAT due to the Landlords Agent for the remaining term of the tenancy.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My question is can the landlord block us from surrender the tenancy?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We haven’t take any steps.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
We are in London
Expert:  Lawry replied 22 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

Essentially, yes as you have a fixed term contract any early termination has to be agreed with the landlord or according to any break clause provided in the agreement.

However, if you want to leave you can do so but will remain liable for the rent till the end of the tenancy and the 11% letting fee and could chase you for them unless you can negotiate with them.