How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

I have an issue with a managing agent who manages a property

Customer Question

Hi I have an issue with a managing agent who manages a property next door to me and due to the disrepair of the property, I am getting damp issues in my property. I have reported this to the managing agent several times and they have even come to my property to examine the damage however they are failing to do anything to the property to stop me having issues in my property and are just ignoring me. What can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contact the managing agent on several occassion for the last 1 1/2 by telephone and email
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: There is also a massive tree in the managing agents property which is encouching on my garden and he fails to cut it and told me to do it myself
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

Ultimately, the property belongs to the owner so you should try and contact them and deal with them directly.

Ask the Managing Agents who owns the property.

If they do not cooperate, you can make a search at the Land Registry on their website at HMGov.LandRegistry.UK for a minimal fee to see who is the owner as long as you have the address and post code of the property.

Then contact the owner and ask them to rectify the problems.

If the problems persist, you can sue them for damages for causing damp but it would be better to obtain a survey first to confirm the source of the problem.

Similarly, with the tree if the owner is unhelpful you can either sue them or cut the tree and demand reimbursement from them.

If you need professional help to do this, call the Law Society on 0207(###) ###-####and they can recommend local firms of solicitors who can help.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok what if the managing agent owner ,. owns the property which I believe to be the case
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Fine, then take action against them directly.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
would i have to go to small claims court?
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Yes, probably.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
can he sue me for getting the tree cut,
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
am I only allowed to cut what is on my property
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Not if he told you to do it.

Get it from him in writing.

Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Yes unless he agrees to you cutting the rest.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
is an email, legal enough?
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.


Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok, if I get a survey and it proves the damage is coming from his property, can I reclaim my costs of the survey?
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.


Customer: replied 21 days ago.
my solicitor's costs or not?
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Not if it is a small claim, no.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok thank you for your help
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

You are welcome.