MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  20 years experience in Wills and Probates and Trusts
109551472

My ex partner made me beneficiary of his pension several

Customer Question

Hello, My ex partner made me beneficiary of his pension several years ago. In Sept 19 we separated and in May 2020 he took his own life. His children are asking me to sign away my right to his pension as we were not together at the time he died and I wondered were I stand legally if I refuse to do so?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: this is not relevant to my question
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  MarianC replied 17 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for your question, I am sorry to hear about your ex partner. Legally you are entitled outright to the pension and nothing will happen if you refuse to sign it away. There is nothing to stop the family from contacting the pension scheme and requesting them to review the position, but you don't have to do anything if you don't want to.

Marian

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If I received the pension could his family appeal or take me to court ?
Expert:  MarianC replied 17 days ago.

It wouldn't go to court. Their only route is to ask the pension company to review things.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  MarianC replied 17 days ago.

Good luck, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  MarianC replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your question, I will close this thread for now.