How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DanielM311 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 51
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
DanielM311 is online now

I need advice about a postal order that I sent to DVLA

Customer Question

my name is Roy ***, and I need advice about a postal order that I sent to DVLA Swansea. I need a refund for this postal order for £82.50, and although I have a screen dump to show that the post office delivered the letter with the postal order inside, including the time and the date and the signature of the recipient, DVLA are saying that they have not got it and have not had it. I have spoken to citizen advice who said to claim against the post office which is not right because the post office have done their job. So now my position is this the post office cannot do anything and DVLA are being very difficult and saying that because I don't have a photograph of the postal order even though it has been signed for they said there is nothing they can do. I am 63 I am fighting melanoma cancer I am very tired and this is causing me so much stress and is very unfair are I would just like some advice and help JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to? Customer: No I have not talked to anyone else about this I am living in Britain UK JA: What steps have you taken so far? Customer: I have spoken to the lady in the post office on the three occasions and she has told me that the receipts that she has given me are the only ones that are given out for a postal order and she has exactly the same receipts, she also said that they do not keep actual records of postal orders leaving the post office. To be honest I don't know what to do about it JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you. Customer: Yes I have kept all conversations and emails and evidence on my computer that show everything that is needed...

Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will wait as long as it is not weeks
Expert:  DanielM311 replied 16 days ago.

Good Morning, thank you for your enquiry. My name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor. From what you have described it sounds like the postal order has been lost in transit and on that basis I would advise that you follow the claim procedure through royal mail. Provided that the postal order has not been cashed then there should be no issues with having monetary value refunded to you or another postal order issued as per your initial request. Please see the process for reporting this problem -

You’ll need to get a P58 (lost post form) from a branch and send it off to Royal Mail (their address is on the form) along with a photocopy of your proof of purchase. You’ll need to wait 15 days after posting before you can do that.

Remember to hold on to your original Postal Order receipt, as we’ll need the unique ID number should you wish to claim for the loss.  See instructions below

If your Postal Order is stolen, please report it to the police and get a Crime Reference Number.

The police need to contact us with this Crime Reference Number. Then contact us using our contact form and we can issue a refund – as long as the order hasn’t been cashed.

If you wish to make a claim for your postal order, please send your original postal order purchase receipt, along with your personal contact details, to the following address:

Postal Order Correspondence Team
Method of Payment Team
Post Office Ltd
Future Walk
S49 1PF

Please keep a copy of your postal order receipt for your records. The Post Office team will aim to respond within 35 days.

Expert:  DanielM311 replied 16 days ago.

I hope that my response has assisted you today. Kind regards Daniel

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Daniel, thank you for your reply. I have already sent the receipts and all evidence required the Post Office claim procedure, and they sent them back saying it is a DVLA issue, and that they don't have any records of cashed postal orders, and there is nothing they can do. No one wants to take responsibility...
Expert:  DanielM311 replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your response. Ok so my advice is as follows:

1. Firstly, contact DVLA via their complaint process

Complaints Team

2. Secondly, in the absence of a successful resolution after 10 working days then you should report the postal order as lost/stolen to your local police branch. Ensure that you obtain a crime reference number and as per the post office guidance above the police reference number should be sufficient to trigger a refund provided the postal order has not been cashed.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have already sent a P58 form to the post office with the original receipts, and they sent them back the next day saying nothing they can do...
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Online conversation only please..
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have already sent the form to the post office to complain and spoken to head office I have also sent the details and receipts to the Post Office which was returned I'm going to the police station to get a a number and need to know where to send please? Thank you..Roy
Expert:  DanielM311 replied 16 days ago.

Thank you Roy. After you have the crime number from the police you should contact royal mail with this. As mentioned above, provided that you have a crime reference number and the postal order has not been cashed they should action the refund for you. I understand that the post office are not taking responsibility but as you have complied with their refund policy they should refund you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been to the police station and have to phone Swansea police for crime number, thank you for your help, I really appreciate it...
Expert:  DanielM311 replied 16 days ago.

No problem at all. Please do let me know if you require any further assistance.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Good morning I've just had a message back from the police in Swansea to say there is nothing they can do as the item has been signed for and to complain to DVLA. So once again even the police are not interested in this postal order and say that the person that signed for it must be the one who is responsible. But as you know DVLA or not even willing to check this out so once again I have hit 3 brick walls, what on earth am I supposed to do now..
Expert:  DanielM311 replied 15 days ago.

Good morning. This is very unfortunate. In this situation I recommend you escalate your complaint to the chief executives office as your issue has not been resolved. This is not a legal issue at present because you have not completed the full complaints process at the moment.

Step 2

If you’ve been through Step 1 and you feel that your complaint has not been resolved, write to our Chief Executive, who will make sure your case is reviewed and responded to. We aim to respond within 10 working days but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it may take us longer than usual to review your case, so please bear with us.

Write to:

Chief Executive’s Office

if this step fails you can also request for your complaint to be resolved by way of an independent review. Please first take this step and prepare a letter. Your local citizens advice can help you do this if you require assistance.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do what you have said..Roy
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Daniel, as I was starting to write the letter to the Chief Executive I remembered that I have already done this twice. Malisa Slade who replied said that "without proof of postage there is nothing more they can do". I have already sent the 2 receipts to them as proof of postage, and they were just returned. I have a screen dump of this letter. What do you suggest please? Thank you..
Expert:  DanielM311 replied 12 days ago.

Thank you Roy. If you have exhausted the complaint process you should move on to the third step which is requesting an impartial review. You should respond to the letter making a formal request for your case to be referred to an independent complaints assessor (ICA).

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Daniel, I will now do this..