Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If I had to give up work due to fibromyalgia, would I be

Customer Question

If I had to give up work due to fibromyalgia, would I be entitled to anything financially?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In South Devon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Currently on long term sick, since April this year, so entitled to 6 months full pay and then 6 months half pay
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I already reduced hours at work 4 years ago (fibro started 6 years ago) so due to my symptoms there is not alot the employer can do to make my job any easier. Had first welfare meeting last week. Given permission for work to get medical report from my GP.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Can I just check how long you are signed off sick for please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Type is fine
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Currently one month. First signed off in April 2021
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. In terms of your entitlements for giving up work, you will not get anything from your employer, such as redundancy pay or other compensation. You will get your wages and owed holidays, but that is it. Once you become unemployed you are looking at potential benefits as a source of further income.

What Government benefits a person is entitled to will very much depend on their personal circumstances and there are various factors which are taken into consideration. As all of these interplay with each other in various ways to determine their eligibility, it is best to go through an online benefits calculator, which would take all relevant factors into consideration.

The most commonly used calculators are the following:

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/

https://www.betteroffcalculator.co.uk/free

The following details wilk be required to get an answer through these:

- savings

- income, including your partner’s

- existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)

- outgoings (such as rent, mortgage, childcare payments)

- council tax bill

Once the results have been determined, there will be details on what may be claimed and how.

The alternative is to approach your local JobCentre Plus, which can discuss benefits with you and what the options are:

https://find-your-nearest-jobcentre.dwp.gov.uk/search.php

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have briefly looked at benefits and the only one I think I may be eligible for is the ESA, but too soon to enquire as currently on full sick pay which I'm entitled to for 6 months then 6 months half pay.
Where do I stand if the Company decide to get rid of me as opposed to me resigning?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

It will not change your position if you were to be dismissed instead of resigning. Hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

You are most welcome and all the best