How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 13898
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My car insurance cancelled my insurance without

Customer Question

my car insurance cancelled my insurance without notification. they claim to send a text and email but they never did also never send am email. i was only provided a through chat after i contact them to know why my insurance was cancelled. I PAID a year insurance which is still valid. i contact the insurance to request a change of address. the address was change and i was send a link to pay a fee for address changed. The link did not work and i attend to go back to the website but there is no further link for payment. My address was not put back to previous address nor notify or given a reminder that i need to pay any fee. I have been driving without car insurance for a week not knowing. also my car broke down because i have accident.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have try to talk to them they claim that they send email. the last email i receive from them was on 11th they insisnt they cant do anyuthing i need to set up new policie or i go else i also inform them that i have an accident but they really not interested or give any suport unless if i want to take a new policy
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: that is all i can think of Now
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

It seems the insurer is at fault here, which does happen due to human error. There is a procedure to go through with the insurer being authorised by the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) - you have protection when things go wrong and it is quicker than court action.

You are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service (from the insurer) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the policy should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response. In your complaint you should tell them you will report them to the FCA (who can be reached on 0800(###) ###-####.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the insurer which would hopefully result in a resolution in your favour and further, they can order the insurer to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here :

Or by email:***@******.***

Based on the circumstances, assuming the insurer does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the insurer. If the Ombudsman did not find in your favour, therefore, you then have the option of suing the insurer for breach of your consumer rights and you have up to 6 years to bring a claim to the court (the limitation period is 6 years from your date of loss, to when you need to issue a claim). That would be a last resort but nevertheless it is an option open to you once you have exhausted the above procedure.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for the help. i have been through so many stress, not sure i am able to do and follow up the step currectly by myself. is there an help in writing all these letter or having a lawyer to represent and deal with them for this to be resolve.. thank you
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hi, the process is designed so that you don't have to pay a lawyer. There are law firms around who could help if you wanted me to find some for you. There are also free of charge lawyers such as these LawWorks or

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
okay thank you for your advise I will calmly read through the instruction and see how I
can get it done
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. Have a good evening