How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

Me and my husband have seperated. He told me i had to move

Customer Question

Me and my husband have seperated. He told me i had to move out so in august i did. I have recently been informed that i can legally move back in and he cant stop me. The house is bought outright by his father who has no issue of me and my son moving back in.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No nothing as of yet i have only just been informed of this
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in manchester uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats great thanks
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry you are experiencing these problems.

It is correct, if the house belongs to your father in law and he is happy for you to return your husband cannot exclude you.

You need to consider the future as to if you are happy to live separate loves in the same house or want to move on and get divorced.

How old is your son?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you he said hes going to seek legal advice as im wring and it isnt going to happen. He has a new partner and that is the main reason as she wont visit or stay while im there. Im finacially not stable to stay in the property im in so need to move back there. Our son is 14 but will be 15 in october, the house was bought as an investment for our son
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I dont have the funds for a phone call
Expert:  Lawry replied 15 days ago.

No problem.

I suggest you contact Relate on 0300(###) ###-####who can provide advice and assistance.

If you want a divorce you will need to file a petition form D8 that can be downloaded from the internet or from the GOV/UK courts service website. Ther eis a fee of £550 for the divorce process although you can request a remission or claim costs from your husband.

You also need to sort out the finances and Relate will help you with this.

Ideally, you should try and mediate a settlement other wise you will need to apply on Form A for a financial order.

The fee for this is £255 and the court has wide discretion to make orders the financial needs and requirements of the parties being the bot***** *****ne.

With reference to your son, you both share parental responsibility and should try and come to a sensible arrangement.

As stated, as neither of you own the property neither of you has better rights than the other.