How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4755
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have received a letter saying I'm going to have to go to

Customer Question

I have received a letter saying I'm going to have to go to court. I sold my car and the person I sold it to has had speeding tickets but the police are unable to locate them. I have provided the documents required
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: I am based in Leeds but the offence was Sheffield
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes I think I will do I have pleaded not guilty online as I didn't own the car when the offence took place
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I sent copies twice to the police of the relevant documents and my partner was present when I sold the car
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Did you notify DVLA of the change of ownership?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes I did as soon as I sold it via the online service and have the email which I sent to the police.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have sent it twice to them last year. Not heard anything since December then received a pack today to say it was going to court as I hadn't provided any details of the driver even though on the witness statement from the police it said I had sent it in.
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Then clearly some admin error somewhere within the system. Most likely DVLA side of things, as that is where the police obtain their information.

Therefore,  let the matter go to court, you will need to argue the case there.

You would plead not guilty, and then confirm in evidence when, where and to whom you sold the car.

The CPS would then likely drop the case or the court would find ypu not guilty.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thankyou for your help on this I just wanted so clarification as I know I did everything correctly.
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Your very welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.