MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

My wife is currently on furlough and due to go on to

Customer Question

Hi, my wife is currently on furlough and due to go on to maternity leave in the next couple of weeks. Today she received an email saying that she will be put on maternity leave from the 19th May. Unless she wants to come back to work. I am just wondering how they can back date an email to the 19th
JA: Has your wife discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No. It has just come through.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Just employees as far as I am aware it is a lisensed hotel.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They verbally agreed in April that they would keep her on furlough for as long as they could then move her over to maternity leave
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. There is a possibility that this could just be a typo, it may be that they meant to say that she will be put on maternity leave for the 19th June.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No they sent an email 1st of June saying that she will be put on Maternity leave from the 19th May
Thank you for the clarification, please note that calls require a further fee. Please confirm if you are happy to pay the further fee or if you would rather a written response?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Prefer a written response and not the additional fee as long as I have not already paid for it.
You can request a refund for the call by contacting customer services and I will not carry out the call.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Have requested a refund
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry are you still able to help through text box?

The first step step I would advise would be to raise a formal grievance, in relation to the maternity leave being back dated the following link should assist you: https://www.acas.org.uk/grievance-procedure-step-by-step/step-2-raising-a-formal-grievance

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That sounds like a good start. Thank you. Legally are they able to back start maternity leave?

No, the start date for the maternity leave should have been agreed by both parties.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Great thank you for your help

Glad to be off assistance, I wish you all the best.