Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I have tenants in my shop and they’re not paying rent since

Customer Question

I have tenants in my shop and they’re not paying rent since October last year, but I am paying the landlord every month till now, what should I do? my name is*****: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: its a shop,
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: because she is my friend so I gave her the shop and now I need my shop. There was no terms of lease. The property is in a good shape
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I’m still paying rent to the landlord, but they are not paying
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 22 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Thank you for your patience, Pearl. Again, I am sorry to hear that. So you have a tenancy agreement and you are subletting a part of the property to other tenants without an agreement? Can you please clearly this point?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
please
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Do I have to pay £44 for the call ?

No need to pay for it.

I can answer here unless you wish to chat on a phone, which is payable.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Why do I have to pay £45 ?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Why do I have to pay £44?

You can require your friend to vacate the property as they do not have any contractual right to live there. Tenancy is in your name.

Phone service is for people who prefer to discuss their matters on a call, which is easier in some cases. You do not need to pay, unless you require a call.

Have you asked your friend to leave the property? What is she saying?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I asked her to leave but she doesn’t want to leave, so what should I do now ?

Thank you for this. What was your verbal understanding when you offered her to stay in the property? Were you subletting it?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I told her that I’m subletting it to her so anytime I want it she’d should give it back which she agreed. I really need my shop now and I don’t want to take things into my hands.
Should I go to the court for a letter?

I see. You could send her a formal letter asking to surrender the shop. State in your letter relevant terms you both had agreed and inform that you will be taking legal action should she fail to comply with your request. Yo can find good, free templates here: https://www.sample-resignation-letters.com/how-to-write-a-strong-65279eviction-65279letter-with-samples.html

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any follow up questions. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for your help

My pleasure. Thank you for using our service. Please feel free to come back with anything else.