How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4735
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I’ve been accused of having domestically abs using and being

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I’ve been accused of having domestically abs using and being violent to my younger sister. This was not true and I fact the altercation was of my sister attacking me. She had reported this to the the police who had said that this was not the case and the case had been closed since then my sister has contacted every employer I’ve had and notified them and falsely accused me this which has led to me having lost positions in fear that she will go public and it has made affected my mental well-being what would I be able to do about this
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: I haven’t even spoken to a lawyer I would like to know what my legal options would be and how to stop this happening she had even gone on to write to my employers that she ‘will stop at nothing to ensure my sister is stripped of every title and qualification’
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: uk
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m seeking some information as to what legal steps I could take
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is affecting my livelihood and as a trustee of a charity, I have now had to step down despite it being a false allegation
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What would be the next legal step to take
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
are there any law firms you would suggest
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please could you respond?
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for that additional information, that will be helpfull in allowing me to advise you today.

There are several steps that you can take.

The first step is to issue your sister making these allegations and who is contacting your employers with a "cease and desist" letter. This letter demands that she stops  immediately form harassing you and carrying out the actions that she has been doing. The letter would advice her that failure to do so will result in full legal action being taken against her, both civil and criminal and without further notice.

That letter can be sent from a solicitor so she can see you have taken legal advice on the subject, or you can send it yourself, if you do so send it recorded or registered post for proof of postage and receipt.

Once the letter has been served, if she ignores the letter, you can then report her actions to the police as harassment . The cease and desist letter will assist as evidence that she has been warned and ignored that warning.

You could also then on the civl side if thongs apply to the court for a non molestation order against your sister.

If the court granted this, it would place an injunction on her from doing what she does.

If she breaks the order, the police can arrest her as a brach of that civil order is a criminal offence.. For the first breach she is likely to be fined and subsequent breach could result in a prison sentence. If she follows the order she would not get into trouble so the onus would be fully on her to follow the order or else!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there anything I could do in regards ***** ***** as she has contacted my current and previous employers? And as I have lost jobs due to this and how it presents of it we’re to go public
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My livelihood is at stake and I’m shaking with fear about taking on any jobs especially as the police has declared it was a closed case. I’m just scared that she will do this for every job I take
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there any possibility of having a phone call to discuss this
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m happy to pay more
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

You can report the harassment to the police straight away if you wish to. You do not need to give her advance warning, however that letter really does help your case.

I have also attached a template letter you can use to save time and expense of visiting a solicitor.

Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Can I assist or advice further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No thank you. You’ve been massive help. I can’t thank you enough. I just wanted to ask are there any law forms you would know that would be good to take this case further?
Expert:  james bruce replied 13 days ago.

Any civil litigation firm can do this. I would recommend a local firm to you.

It may be helpful to instruct a local solicitor who specialises in this area of law. You can find a local firm using the Law Society website.

Once on that website, you can click on the find a solicitor option located just above the Law Society logo. Select quick search, then select the area of law required and enter your post code. A list of local firms will then be displayed.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.