How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4771
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am on a suspended sentence and I committed a driving

Customer Question

Hi, I am on a suspended sentence and I committed a driving related offence (No Insurance). Would this activate my suspended sentence?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am based in London however the offence was committed in Basingstoke
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am on a suspended sentence for possess knife blade/sharp pointed article in public. I was convicted September 2020. I have 11 months remaining of my suspended sentence left.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Perfect. Thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

The offence of driving with no insurance carries a fine, points of a ban.
However, the issue you have is the fact that you have committed this offence whilst still serving a suspended sentence. It is clear that any further offence committed during a suspended sentence term can result in the activation of the suspended sentence.

However, it is at the discretion of the court whether to activate the order.

They will take into consideration the original offence, the new offence, and how long you have served of the suspended sentence and how long it has left to run.

Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.