james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am on a suspended sentence and I committed a driving

Customer Question

Hi, I am on a suspended sentence and I committed a driving related offence (No Insurance). Would this activate my suspended sentence?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am based in London however the offence was committed in Basingstoke
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am on a suspended sentence for possess knife blade/sharp pointed article in public. I was convicted September 2020. I have 11 months remaining of my suspended sentence left.
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Perfect. Thank you for your assistance.

The offence of driving with no insurance carries a fine, points of a ban.
However, the issue you have is the fact that you have committed this offence whilst still serving a suspended sentence. It is clear that any further offence committed during a suspended sentence term can result in the activation of the suspended sentence.

However, it is at the discretion of the court whether to activate the order.

They will take into consideration the original offence, the new offence, and how long you have served of the suspended sentence and how long it has left to run.

Can I assist or clarify further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.