How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4809
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Can I sue my flatmates and landlord for affecting my mental

Customer Question

Can I sue my flatmates and landlord for affecting my mental health and studies?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: united kingdom
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: they triggered an existing condition
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.
Please explain what has happened so I can advise.

Expert:  james bruce replied 21 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

You have not said what they have done to allegedly cause a trigger of you pre existing mental health issues.

It is however very unlikely they will be able to be held liable for that. If you have underlying mental health issues that could be triggered living in shared accommodation, then it could be argued that you should reside in sole tenancy accommodation and not be a possible burden on other tenants.

If your landlord has breach tenancy agreement there may be some recourse there, but again normally only to put right what has gone wrong.
Not everything that happens to someone can be sued, thankfully the U.K. has not reached that stage in live yet.

Therefore, if you think the landlord has done something wrong, you need to take a good look at the tenancy agreement to see where it fits in and what his responsibility is for it.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.