How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AkuaK Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1722
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
AkuaK is online now

Am from Jamaica I have been living here since 1998,but am an

Customer Question

Hi,am from Jamaica I have been living here since 1998,but am an illegal citizen,just don't know how to go about getting myself sorted
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I did get an extension in early 1999,but I have lost all my papers from that time,I live in the uk
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No,not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I lost my passport from back then I was able to get a new one
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  AkuaK replied 17 days ago.

Good morning, as you have been in the U.K. more than 20 years you can make an application for leave to remain on this basis but you would need to provide documents for each year to show you have been here such as GP registration records. Any employment, tenancy agreement, bills.

Expert:  AkuaK replied 17 days ago.

Do you have any children or partner?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
2 older children
Expert:  AkuaK replied 17 days ago.

How old and are they British?