MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

I need some advice on being summoned for jury duty. I have

Customer Question

Hi there, I need some advice on being summoned for jury duty. I have already deferred my jury duty 12 months but I am living in Spain and thought COVID would be over by now. I am still in Spain and don´t know what to do. Thanks, Charlotte
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK - Spain
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Deferred my jury duty service 12 months. I was called up last year in September 2020. I deferred to September 2021
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Prior to COVID I used to commute between UK and Spain. I have been WFH since March 2020 in Spain and do not plan to go back until the office reopens.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 13 days ago.

Good morning, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Are you requesting whether you can defer your jury duty further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Matthew, I am asking what my options are in this situation to defer a 2nd time or be excused completely as I am living in Spain now. I have been WFH and living in Spain since March 2020. The only reason right now for me to go back to the UK would be to attend this jury duty, but flights and COVID tests will be costly. Spain is also on the ***** *****st right now.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can't talk on the phone right now, can we just message instead please?

Thank you, ***** ***** wanted to clarify your situation. Under Section 9(2) of the Juries Act 1974 provides that if any person who has been summoned to attend as a juror shows to the satisfaction of the summoning officer that there is good cause why they should be excused from attending, the summoning officer may grant excusal.

I belief that due to the current travel restrictions in place you would be able to demonstrate to the summoning officer that there is good cause for you to be excused further.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 12 days ago.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear I will be happy to assist you further.