JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

How much time do we have with the lawyers, london, i need

Customer Question

How much time do we have with the lawyers
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i need advise on a seperation issue, so need to know how your set up works
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: is this a free service
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Please let me know when you can assist
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i need advice on a divorce
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 14 days ago.
Good morning and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters. I'd be happy to assist but, firstly, please would you confirm if you're married or cohabiting? Do you have any children and, if so, how old are they? Do you have any assets you've acquired during the relationship/marriage? Thanks, J
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Currently married but seperated for just under 1 month, but i know she is seeking legal advice for a divorce. We have no children. We have 1 property in my name which is currently on rent brought in the same year we marred, 16 years ago, 1 flat which i brought, so in my name brought 4 years before we married. we currently live in a property passed down to the family so has 4 names on it, not hers
Hello again and thank you for the updating information. If your wife wants a divorce quickly, I suspect she may petition you upon your alleged unreasonable behaviour. If she does, I suspect she may try and claim the costs of her divorce from you (£1200 - £1500). With regard to the finances, it's a long marriage so the starting point for dividing the matrimonial assets is a 50:50 split. There are factor which will adjust that percentage division but, in the case of a long marriage, even assets that may have been acquired prior to the marriage, can be drawn into the matrimonial pot depending on the parties' respective needs. That is a very general overview. You and your wife would need to have full financial disclosure to work out the values of the assets before you could even begin to work out how to divvy them up between you.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Even though she has not contributed anything to any of the properties, including bills etc
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also we sold another flat to give 65k to her mum to but a bungalow, would i be able to claim that money back
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Jeremy are you still there ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi
Hello. I'm currently working full-time so it often means that I can take a few hours or even a day to get back to customers. This is more akin to an email service than it is an instant messenger.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Havent heard from you for a while
Even though she has contributed nothing, she has been married to you for 16 years (and she may have cohabited with you prior to that). Your wife will have acquired an interest in the various assets by dint of the fact she is married. How much that interest is depends on various factors I described above. You and her will need to have the financial disclosure to work out values. She will need somewhere to live as will you. Due to the fact that neither of you have any children, I could see a scenario where the actual matrimonial assets go 50:50. If she struggles to pay her reasonable outgoings, she could seek maintenance from you if you have surplus income after meeting your reasonable outgoings.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
hi
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I relequced my share to the bunaglow and the shares are in my wifes name, would i be able to claim that back if we divorce
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 13 days ago.

Technically speaking, your wife's share in the bungalow is the matrimonial asset so it is perfectly capable of being divided up according to your needs and what is fair in the circumstances.