Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I'm an irish citizen living and working in the uk and would

Customer Question

I'm an irish citizen living and working in the uk and would like to apply for british citizenship
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I haven't filed any paperwork
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I've live and worked in Ireland and UK for near 22 years
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thats 6
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Fine
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Hi there,

The Common travel arrangements establish that Irish Citizens have a special legal status in the UK (from the briefing announcement of October 2019, see link below):-

“Irish nationals have a special status in UK law which is separate to and pre-dates the rights they have as EU citizens.

In short, the Republic of Ireland is not considered to be a ‘foreign country’ for the purpose of UK laws, and Irish citizens are not considered to be ‘aliens’. Furthermore, Irish citizens are treated as if they have permanent immigration permission to remain in the UK from the date they take up ‘ordinary residence’ here.”

Irish citizens can apply for naturalisation rather than registration after five years residence. This is three years if married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen. An Irish citizen who naturalised as a British citizen may retain Irish citizenship.

You can apply for British Naturalisation after 5 years stay in the UK.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.