How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2705
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I fell over on the street and my husband tried to pick me

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I fell over on the street and my husband tried to pick me up. He was wrongfully accused of assaulting me due to a misinterpretation of events. The general public saw him (a man) trying to help me up (a small woman whose face is bleeding) and assumed the worst. I keep explaining to the police that I fell over but I feel as though I am not being listened to. My husband is on CPS bail and he is not allowed to stay with me or contact me. My husband did not assault me and our lives have been turned upside down. I feel we have both been treated so badly by the police. I understand they are trying to help me but this has had an adverse affect on my mental health. He has not been charged of anything but I am petrified that he will be for something he did not do. The case is with the CPS and we need help. How can this happen to an innocent person?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Watford
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have given my statement to the police, my family have emailed the police. They asked to see me today but then cancelled this morning very last-minute. No one is listening to me.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just need my husband back with me. This has been the worst two weeks of my life.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Kindly give me a minute. I am in the process of reading what you have said in order to provide a written response.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

I do understand the way you feel. However, the police can decide if based on the evidence they have received to charge and refer the matter for it to be prosecuted. For example, if based on the information received from persons in the street they are of the view that you have been abused then they may proceed. There has been instances where persons in a similar position as you because of fear has decided not to pursue the matter and as such, this stance has been adopted in relation to matters such as these.

If the matter proceeds to a trial you will be allowed to give evidence and what you have said here must be taken into account by the judge.

It is likely therefore that this will proceed to trial.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.