How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2702
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I have got a girl pregnant and she wants to keep it and says

Customer Question

I have got a girl pregnant and she wants to keep it and says i do not have to have anything to do with it. Can we create an agreement to confirm this decision?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would just like some basic advice to start wiht via chat is that ok?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

No you cannot. Once the child has your name on the birth certificate you would be deemed to be the dad. It means therefore that once the child is born she may legally request for you to assist with maintenance payments. So while you may decide that you do not want to have a bond with the child, you will not be absolve from financial liability with respect to the child.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
what if i am not named on the birth certificate?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

If you are not named on the birth certificate then you would not be considered the father in law and she could not pursue you for financial support automatically. She would first have to go to court to have an order that you are the father and once that is so then she could pursue you for financial support. So, in effect you can't contract out of financially taking care of a child.