How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 261
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

I am in a private house which has private flats next to me

Customer Question

I am in a private house which has private flats next to me they are managed by a company called lovietts there are private gates which were installed to protect the car park flats, i up to last year paid 130 pounds towards the maintainance. The gates were always breaking down and a new system was put in. Without my knowledge a loan was taken out to pay for this .my maintainance charge has risen this year to 350 pounds.since the gates really belong to the flats i do not feel it is fare that i should be paying towards gates that were not fit for purpose in the first place. I would be pleased to seek your advice . Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No i have not started to do anything as yet the premium ie due now i do have all the paperwork they have sentt to me there are 3 other householders that are withholding there fees
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: The house is located at 10 lionl The house is located in nuneaton warks
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing i can think of
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

Is your property leasehold or within an estate?

Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Under what authority do Loviettes claim payment from you?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No my house is freehold,it is not in an estate as such we are a small complex of about 12 houses that were built by a local builder ,the flats were an oll pub /resturant built by another builder
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

Is there a document providing your liability to pay maintenance?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
They manage the grounds the flats are situated on we the householders seem to come under this mmanagement to maintain the grounds and the gates that we 6 houses have access to
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

If the duty is contractual it will depend on the terms of the contract.

If they went ahead with a major expenditure without your authority you can refuse to pay unless there is something in writing providing a duty to pay in any event..

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No that i know of
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No we did not agree to lpay in any event
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

You need to ask the management company to provide evidence as to where your liability comes form and as to why they incurred a major expenditure without any prior consultation.

You should withhold payment until this is clarified.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thankyou can this info be sent to me by email
Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

You can use this exchange as an email.

Expert:  Lawry replied 21 days ago.

This service does not provide for private emailing.