How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2714
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I would like some legal advice please, London, contacted the

Customer Question

Hi, I would like some legal advice please
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: contacted the other party
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 21 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 21 days ago.

What do you wish to have assistance with?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I had parking contraventions from several years ago which have been sent to a previous address. There are 4 in total, 1 is with the enforcement officers and the other 3 they have sent letters to my current address as they have been able to trace me to my current address. I would like to know how I can appeal these as they have now reached large sums of money and I was unaware of them?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

With the one that is at enforcement you may apply to the court to have that set aside on the basis that you were never served with notice of proceedings. Application to set aside judgments are time sensitive and you ordinarily would have been required to have applied a long time a go. You may however ask the court to exercise its discretion in light of the fact that it has only just been brought to your attention.

With respect to the others, which have not yet been before the court you may use the a similar approach. Advise them of the fact that you had no intentions to not pay and that your failure is solely attributable to you not being made aware of the tickets. Such a position is likely to be accepted by the court if this is a situation where you were not aware of the tickets at all.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
when you say to request for judgements to be set aside should I do that with Northampton county court where the enforcements have been issued? The other 3 I have been informed they have just sent out letters to my new address to issue notice of proceedings. The one that is one with enforcement the first I have seen of it is when the baliff visited twice, once when I was not home and the other this morning.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Also do you know what the application to set aside judgement form is?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
just to clarify for you that there are no CCJs on these its just that the warrants for enforcement proceedings have been issued by the court
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 18 days ago.

Good day,

I must apologise for the delay in responding. it was inadvertent. I was not aware that you had posted further queries.

Please note the following responses:

1. No I am not saying no CCJ has been entered. CCJ means that a county court judgment has been recorded against a person. If bailiffs have been coming out it means a CCJ has been entered and that the debtor has subsequently gone back to court to get an order allowing them to enforce judgment by way of the bailiffs coming out. You may apply to set aside by using the below form:

Please note though that because of how far gone the process is, you may find it difficult to set aside. However, the law requires for a defendant (being you) to be personally served. If you were not served, then they ought not to have proceeded to obtain judgment against you.

2. If with respect to the other three only letters have been sent, then that means proceedings have not yet commenced.