How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2680
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I live with my wife. For business reasons I put the property

Customer Question

I live with my wife. For business reasons I put the property in her name. She has now put the house on the market and she informs me that she has a buyer. I have written to her solicitor and the Agent but have had no response. No one has asked me for my agreement and I will be rendered homeless unless my rights by the virtue that the house is my home, I live there in are made clear.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Liverpool England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written to the solicitor on three occasions but had no response. I have made my complaint clear but he has failed to respond regarding the situation..
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, it is very simple, I have to give my permission to a sale under agreed conditions. I am seeking to add power to my claim via a solicitors letter!!
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Hi there,

could you please confirm if the house solely in the name of your wife?

If there is any outgoing mortgage , if yes, then you is paying for the mortgage?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Hi Julian,

If you are not one of the owner , then the sellers( your wife) solicitor would not engage with you.

If the property is solely in your wife name, then you should apply for matrimonial home rights. While this won’t give you the right to ownership of the property, however, it will mean that you can’t be forced to leave your family home and it can’t be sold without your permission.

You would have to fill form HR1 to get your home rights registered . Please click below for the relevant form and further guidance on it-

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have all of that documentation on file. I am looking to my rights with regard to having lived at the property as my home for thirty years. Correct me if I am wrong but surely I must be formally informed , I cannot just be made homeless?? If so all I want is a letter stating the situation and my compliance be formally sought. To date my views or my situation have not been considered by the solicitor or the Estate Agent!
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

As you are not the joint owner of the property, Estate agents and solicitors would not engage with you.

You have to register your home rights for the property so that you can not be evicted from the property and sale can not be effected without your consent.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Vineet, shall we just leave it, I will go to a local solicitor here in Liverpool. I do not want to stop the sale. I want to be informed!! I will inform him of the change as I did ping off an email including yourself. Thanks, ***** ***** will proceed elsewhere. Julian Deus
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.