Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I bumped my car on Monday,I told my insurance company about

Customer Question

Hi I bumped my car on Monday,I told my insurance company about my accident they asked me if I had any penalty points on my license I said yes I wasn’t aware that I had to inform them
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: I bumped my car last Monday and have informed my insurance company - Churchill. I enquired as to whether I had any penalty points on my licence and I told them I had. I was unaware that I should have informed them about this. The insurers want me to pay £56 because I had not informed them of my penalty plus £150 extra on my excess. Arne the insurers legally allowed to charge me this additional amount on top of my excess charge as I was never informed about this. I should very much appreciate your comments. regards ***** *****
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Yes. I appealed against the original fine as I was unaware that I was driving with a flat tyre on my trailer. Incidentally the tread was good on tyre but it simply punctured. As a result of my appealing the fine was reduced, but my penalty points stood.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

If you need to contact customer services you can do so by calling free on: 0808(###) ###-####or by email: *****@******.***

You may get a request offering you a telephone call. I am more than happy to do this for you but please note that this is a premium service and therefore attracts an additional charge. This charge is not instead of asking an online question but in addition to. You do not have to accept a telephone call and if you do not wish to have it, please do not click on the request for one. Should you do so then you will be charged for the call.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

When did you take out the insurance and when did you get the points?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

I will assume two things for this

1) you renewed before you got the points. When you renew they ask you specially whether or not you have any points or fixed penalties. It is a term of your insurance that you tell them before you take it out. If you are saying it was not asked, then they will need to show it was.
but you also get a policy schedule which shows whether or not points are recorded and it is up to you to check it’s right

2) you had points during the policy term. If that is the case you need to read the policy document you were sent when you joined to see if it is a term that you must tell them during the policy. If it is a term and in the policy, then yes, they can charge more. If it is not a term in the policy, then they can not charge more.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are they 3ntitled to charge me £150 on top of the excess charge taking the total I pay to £550?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

No, they are not, I hope that helps