Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

NDA with boyfriend, UK, I did research around internet, I

Customer Question

NDA with boyfriend
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I did research around internet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I need a NDA that covers everything same as celebrities NDA with their new partner
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Why do you need this please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Stuart,
I had a bad experience with my previous partner therefore I would like to sign an NDA with my partner to protect me in the future if it is needed. I do not wish him to disclose any information about myself family and job, photo & video.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

There is nothing to stop you having a confidentiality/NDA with your partner although whether they would sign it is a different thing altogether.  You also need to consider what you are going to do about it if they simply decided to ignore it when you eventually break up.

You would not have suffered any loss in the commercial sense so the agreement is likely to be of limited effect, more persuasive than legally binding.

If you want a draft agreement, I could let you have a template for you to complete yourself.  I would submit a premium services proposal for you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I was thinking of including a fine in case of any problem in the future, also the legal fees.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

It is well settled law in the UK that civil penalties are not enforceable so you would not get any money in the event of any breach unless you suffered loss as a result of the breach.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the question remains what is the best way to protect myself against any information shared by my partner?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 16 days ago.

Because it’s not a commercial arrangement, it’s only a private arrangement, it’s going to be extremely difficult.

On a basic level, make sure that you only get involved with someone that you can trust because although you could have a non-disclosure agreement, if the person breaches it, you don’t suffer any loss and therefore you have no claim.

You could potentially bring a claim for injury to feelings but if you did, you would be the first person in the country to do so ever.