John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

I have paid for my son's university education including

Customer Question

Hi, I have paid for my son's university education including fees, food, accommodation and trips and travel. He started working a year ago and is not paying my money. How to claim my money legally, please. Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Harrow, London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you.

To legally get your money back, what you need to do is write him a formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why. You will also need to give him a deadline to raise the payment by, usually it is 14 days in which to receive payment.

If payment is not received within 14 days, then you will need to issue a claim against him in the small claims court. You can do this by visiting this site https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Or you can do it by post by using form N1 which you can find here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and posting it to:

County Court Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527

Salford

Greater Manchester

M5 0BY

I attach a template letter you can use, you will need to edit it.

Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** help.
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.