How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1930
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

I have paid for my son's university education including

Customer Question

Hi, I have paid for my son's university education including fees, food, accommodation and trips and travel. He started working a year ago and is not paying my money. How to claim my money legally, please. Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Harrow, London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you.

To legally get your money back, what you need to do is write him a formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why. You will also need to give him a deadline to raise the payment by, usually it is 14 days in which to receive payment.

If payment is not received within 14 days, then you will need to issue a claim against him in the small claims court. You can do this by visiting this site

Or you can do it by post by using form N1 which you can find here and posting it to:

County Court Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527


Greater Manchester

M5 0BY

I attach a template letter you can use, you will need to edit it.

Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** help.
Expert:  John replied 18 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.