Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I ordered a piece of bespoke furniture and within one week

Customer Question

I ordered a piece of bespoke furniture and within one week it was an impulse buy. I emeailed after 8 days and cancelled my order. They are telling me that I cannot cancel as it was bespoke furniture an
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: No. They have rung again today sayoinh I cannot cancel. If I do they will keep my deposit which is almost £2,000. Can they do this?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have Emailed , this on I did last sunday and on the Tuesday I rang and cancelled. Now they are putting the big guns on me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else. thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

How was it bespoke? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They are telling me it was bespoke because they had to do measurements. It is a chair with foot rest and rise and fall
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They are telling that because it was bespoke I cannot cancel and they will keep my deposit
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

So you gave them specific measurements which they used to build it?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They took the measurements. Width and leg measurement
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what can I do?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Help me please
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Ok thanks. Unfortunately, by law, you have no right to cancel a bespoke order and once you have placed it you are legally bund to proceed with it. I appreciate it was an impulse buy but that does not give you any rights to cancel it as you would have become bound by it once you confirmed it. You can only cancel it, or ask for a refund, if what they supply you with is not as described, of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose. Obviously, you need to receive it first before you can determine if that is the case.

If you do not want to proceed you could indeed be liable for some costs or potentially lose any deposit you have paid. They can use that to cover the cost of materials which they cannot reuse elsewhere, or for the loss of business from your cancellation. Any surplus should be returned to you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and all I can tell you is what the law says. I do hope that it at least explains where you stand and I will be happy to clarify anything for you in relation to it. For now, thank you for using our service.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Still waiting for another message from you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They can't have carried out any work in one week
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

you can ask for proof of that but they could have ordered material stec. Also there is the loss of business for an order which you couldniot have cancelled in the first place